Tuesday, September 15, 2009

3 Weeks until Marathon

Wow, I can't believe its been a month since I've posted. I'm still running and babying this stupid injury. After taking time off to let this injury heal I've gradually worked my way back up the training ladder. I completed long runs of 12, 14, 15, 17 and 20! Yes, that's right... 20 miles! My 17 miler was horrible. I left at 8:30 pm because we were leaving for vacation the next morning. I'm typically not an evening runner. The first 12 miles were okay. My IT bands were hurting but it was manageable. After I Gu'd (Gu Roctane) the 3rd time I got very sick. I had to make a run to the porta potty. I started getting really crampy and shaky. I'll save you the GI details but it was miserable. I walked a lot the last mile and came home sick. It took me another full day to recover.

Needless to say, I wasn't feeling very confident about my upcoming 20 miler or the marathon. With the vacation and stuff it was another 10 days before my next long run.

Last Saturday I met with Jen and Heather for a 20 mile jaunt through the canyon, around the reservoir, 2 miles back up the canyon and then turn around and run home. It was such a nice change to run with friends. It really helped the time go by. We just took the run nice and easy with lots of stretching breaks. All 3 of us nursing injuries;) I finished it feeling pretty decent which is a great confidence builder at this point.

My ITB is still bothering me but I think I can get through this marathon only as long as I don't push it too fast, remember to stretch a lot and just have fun. I won't be breaking any records thats for sure. I guess thats okay. I figure if you can't take your first marathon easy and just have fun then when can you?

5 comments:

  1. You've got the right attitude, Mel. Even if you were going into the marathon 100% healthy, you still shouldn't do it with any kind of time expectations. Like you said, this first one is just to enjoy and discover what it feels like to be declared a marathoner, regardless of the time. Once you set that benchmark, you'll have many more opportunities to improve on it.

    Enjoy your taper. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a really fun run. I'm so glad we were finally able to get together even if it's the last really long run. I'm totally going to enjoy the taper as well. It's gonna be great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take it a bit easy on your injury. Just completing will feel awesome!!!

    I'm cheering for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope your injuries continue to mend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's good you run and exercise for health. But as a competitive national runner who has seen too many recreational athletes take it too seriously I would just like to respectfully share a word of caution. I think that running is a great thing in balance, but I know for me, as soon as I start having a family, I am going to give up running in order to spend time with them. It's not true what people say: that they can train seriously and be fully devoted to the sport while at the same time raising kids. I've seen it first hand, many parents idolize running and become more and more self-centred and their time with their kids is lost.
    Spending time with your kids is much more important than training obsessively for a small age-group record at a road race. Just my opinion, but run for fun and run with your kids, not for serious people.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I would love to hear from you so feel free to leave a comment.