Thursday, June 25, 2009

Energizer Runnies

It's been a good 5 days since I participated in Utah's Ragnar Relay. Normally, I would rush right to my computer eager to document the event but this time I've wanted to cherish the experience for a little longer. The experience is mine to hold onto.... it has left me completely speechless and only through my little heart can I even begin to share it with you. I've read the race reports of several teammates which have made me laugh hard and cry at the same time. Don't you love that feeling:)
I first heard about the Wasatch Back just over a year ago and I decided then that if I ever had the opportunity to participate I would surely jump at the chance. Because the little people in my computer are as real to me as my next door neighbor, I didn't hesitate when a group of mommy bloggers decided to form a team for the relay. Over six months ago, I paid my money and signed up to join a group of women runners who I had never met. All winter long I trained to run my spring half marathons but each and every time I ran I had the "Wasatch Back" in the "back" of my mind and boy was I excited!
Before the team was finalized I reconnected with a very dear friend and invited her to join in the fun. Much to my dismay she agreed which made me very happy..... I know, I know.... sometimes I really surprise myself...realizing I do in fact have Real Life Friends (RLF). Ha ha!

As the time for the race approached we organized everything via Internet. Details like food and leg assignments had to be divided up and at the last minute we decided van decorations and costumes were needed.
Friday morning came and I was a little nervous to meet these women. When we met together for brunch and threw together our decor it didn't take long for me to feel at ease. I met Sarai, Jen, Tancy, Angie and reunited with my friend Cameo. You know, sometimes I have those moments when I realize that even though life is freakin' difficult and I struggle, I am EQUALLY blessed by the people who come into my life. Honestly, I can't explain how inspired and impressed I was with these new friends. Truly, they are amazing women and I can't fathom how lucky I was to get matched up with the five of them.

Over the next 30 hours and 2 minutes we learned quite a bit about each other and I'm quite certain that ALL of them know a tad bit more about me than they would like to;)

** to be continued

7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you've started this little blog! And I'm so glad I somehow got invited to join you in the Back. It really was an amazing experience, one I'll never forget. I have loved reading the reports too. Everything I can't put into words seems to get out there through everyone else. And the best part is that I have 5 new in real life friends and hopefully we'll get to run together some more. I've just decided that words will never be enough to describe the experience, and that's o.k. because those who lived it know what it was like and we all share a part of that. Man, that sounded cheesy, but oh well! Cheesy it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love running! Can't wait to start up again. Sounds like you had a blast and made some great memories to boot. Have fun with your new blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, your blog title is sheer genius! I've enjoyed following your family blog and I'm sure this one will be no different.

    I've found it interesting how each of us have approached documenting the adventure we had at the Wasatch Back. 24 different women and their different backgrounds and perspectives, yet really the same overwhelmingly positive experiences. We were truly fortunate and it's hard to believe fortune like that happens just by luck. I think your word "blessed" is very appropriate here and I felt equally blessed to have shared the experience with you and the other gals.

    Looking forward to reading more of your memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to be so fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI MEL! Yep, you got it right! Wasatch Back was an awesome experience. I'm still trying to finish writing my race report and have been tempted to just post links to everybody else's. My words alone just don't seem to do it justice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm glad you finally have your own running blog. i love reading your stuff. isn't wastach back amazing?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ragnar looked fun. It looks like we're at a similar point in our running goals. Maybe I'll see you at the Provo River run.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I would love to hear from you so feel free to leave a comment.