Monday, July 6, 2009

Wasatch Back 2009- Part 2

Look at how time flies! I wanted my Ragnar post filled with lots of fun details. Unfortunately, due to my crazy busy summer you might have better luck getting those details by reading from some of my teammates blogs HERE and HERE . There was so much excitement with our team which was simply amazing given we were all basically strangers as I mentioned previously. I'll just do a quick recap.

We didn't start until afternoon which for me was quite painful. I like to get up first thing in the morning and start my day with a run. My 6.7 miler from Millville to Hyrum would have been much more pleasant in the cool morning but sheesh... who's complaining:) Instead the temps were something closer to 90 degrees.

This picture of me is taken somewhere along Hollow Road in Nibley (Hyrum?) about a 1/2 mile after I decided to take a GU without water. The expression on my face doesn't clearly depict the excitement I was feeling at the sight of my fellow "Energizer Runnies" and their stash of WATER! I really need to work on smiling, don't I!
Jen from my neck of the woods is just as sweet in person as she is on her blog. I'm so glad I was finally able to meet her:) Jen's 1st run was through a beautiful part of Cache Valley. Rolling hills a herd of cattle, sprinklers, dust, hot sun... she experienced it all! Jen is one of our experienced runners having completed 3 marathons. Oh, and she makes scrumptious peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip cookies of which I think I ate too many. Yum!

This is my friend, Cameo! We were neighbors and running partners almost 8 years ago. Cameo is someone I have always admired greatly and a great runner which is why I invited her to run the relay with us. Its been too many years since we've spent any time together. Cameo's 1st leg was up the Avon pass. Nearly 8 miles uphill and she didn't stop at all! Let me tell you- that is IMPRESSIVE!

Angie had the last leg in our van. She ran the last mile or so to the top of the Avon pass and then down awful terrain for 7 or so miles. The exact mileage is a little shady to me now that I've slept a night or two;) Whatever, she ROCKS! I am so glad I had the opportunity to meet Ang. I've been reading her blog for over a year and just love her humor and her drive. What a privilege it is to finally know her in person. Tall girl also had a killer uphill 8 mile run in the dark. She was the bomb... ran the whole thing without stopping.

This is Exchange #5! Carl was volunteering as a course manager for Exchanges 13 - 18. I took this picture so he could be glad he wasn't in charge of this exchange. Runners had to dodge the vehicles that were trying to follow their runner and others were trying to pull in or back out... it was conjestion to a tee.

Sarai (on the left) added a lot to the team. I loved her calm personality which was something that really helped me when I was nervous and anxious before a run. Sarai was the runner after me and I had the privilege to watch for her at the exchange points. Sarai's 2nd leg was probably her toughest. She had a long 8 miles uphill. The view was gorgeous. Once again she proved to be a stellar runner, tackling that hill without stopping. Also, Sarai was a great sport about wearing the bunny ears and beating that old Energizer drum. Loved it!

Tancy completed our team. I love this picture of her running her final leg through Heber(?). Look at that smile. She also had some really tough runs. At one exchange I missed her because she was so fast. We pulled up to the exchange a little late and as I jumped out of the suburban she came running across the parking lot with the slap bracelet. We exchanged the bracelet and I stumbled off in the dark totally unprepared for my run. Ahem. I can't tell you have grateful I was that she was totally forgiving and gracious about that mess up.

Here I am waiting for Tancy to come in. I'm waiting for her this time... aren't you proud of me? It was starting to drizzle at this point and I was just trying to stay warm. My last leg was a short 3.3 miler from Francis to Kamas. The cool, slightly wet temps were perfect. I ran this leg hard all the while trying to enjoy the scenery. There is such a rush for me running in new territory.
The farmland through this part of the race made me feel right at home. This is my final leg and at this point I am completely amazed and grateful that I was able to run pain free for the first time in almost two months. I've really been struggling with my ITband. I've been to two different chiropractors many times, iced, taped and stretched. The most painful of all was the fact that I had to drastically reduce my mileage just a month before this race. I would have liked to do so much better but with everything thats been going on phycially I need to remember to be grateful that I was still able to participate. This was definitely an opportunity that I'm glad I didn't miss. ;
A cheer for Van #1! We've all completed our "legs", feeling good, feeling happy and accomplished... oh, and tired;)

There is so much more to the story... Here are a few of my highlights

                • tripping over a pothole while trying to turn on my shuffle in the dark, twisting my ankle and a little problem with my bladder.

                • sleeping in the suburban by myself and accidently turning on the car alarm which disturbed a parking lot of sleeping runners

                • Dry heaving at the smell of the high shool gymnasium

                • waking up with an upset stomach which was cured with a little Diet Coke

                • no moon, glow bracelets, sparkers, lots of stars

                • running a couple blocks with my mom and my nephew

                • seeing Carl during his volunteer shift

                • NEW FRIENDS>


                1. Mel-you look great!! JaDee and I so wanted to do Wasatch this year, but being in Alaska proved a bit of a location issue. You look fantastic and your team looks like a ton of fun. I am going to check out thier blogs too!

                2. I loved reading your recap! It really was such a great time and reading about it again brought back all those great emotions! I'll probably never get tired of reading about all our great adventures packed in those couple of days! And one of the best parts is that I got to meet you and still get to see you afterwards!

                3. That is so neat that you can do those things. You are so amazing. Marty is so excited to run with you soon. I hope your summer is going well. I have been thinking of Crew lately and how much is required of you to take care of him. I pray that you get the physical, emotional, and spiritual support you need to carry on serving him as you do. You are truly a valiant daughter of God.

                4. Mel, that was great! Wasatch Back rocked! Hope you are having a good marathon training and that you are staying injury free. I am planning on running the top of utah half. I hope I get to see you there!

                5. Smiling or not, I love that first photo of you (and not just because it was me who took it)! The scenery behind you is so beautiful and you totally look like a kick-butt runner just out for an easy afternoon stroll.

                  Thanks for reminding me of the great time we had together. I think I'm still riding the high from the WBR and hope it lasts a long time!

                6. Hey I don't think I told you thanks - the hugest thanks ever for inviting me to be on your team! This was a most amazing experience I have had in a long time. I really needed it! I would love to join you on another race! You are amazing!


                Thanks for stopping by my blog! I would love to hear from you so feel free to leave a comment.