Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Super_Not

My running the past 10 days has pretty much been non-existent. After my 16 miler I went out for an easy 2 miler only to discover my ITBS problem is back. I attempted speed work a few days later in which the planned 7 miles turned into 4.

Determined to run my scheduled 18 miler the following Saturday, I ran through 10 miles of PAIN for a total of 11 miles. Yes, only the 1st mile was without pain. I thought I could just run through the pain but apparently it isn't so. By the time I got to 11 miles, I was barely walking.

The past 10 days I've taken to pool running. I purchased the Speedo jog belt where I've hit the deep end to continue with some kind of non-impact training. It's been kind of fun training in the water but not road running pain free is real depressing.
My Chiro has been using the Graston technique on my IT Bands. Yes, both of them are hurting now. Last week I came home with giant bruises along the band of tissue on each leg. Now that the bruises are mostly healed I am going back. Is that crazy or what?
I took a trial run this morning and was pain free for nearly 2 miles. This is good news! I am healing but with my scheduled 1/2 marathon this Saturday there is just no way to be 100% better. Today I will find out if a cortisone shot is an option.
To top it off, last week when I went to donate blood I found out my hematocrit was low. Likely, my iron level is down and I'm feeling it. Whatever happened to being invincible?

4 comments:

  1. Hope you start feeling better. Running injuries are a real bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you haven't been able to run much lately, like you would like to. I know how that feels. Pool running sounds like a smart idea. I hope you're on the mend now.

    I came over to your blog because I saw that you won the I Have Run contest. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really stinks to be injured and have your brain tell you that you can still do things and your body says something different. I hope that you heal fast and we can still get in some runs together before the marathon. How's the pool running going?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to know how long you did pool running and if you felt you were able to maintain your fitness. I see you completed your marathon with a great time only a few months after this, so I am hoping this is a good thing. I am pool running right now and am hoping to run a marathon in January, but just running for fun and not so much time as I am uncertain about my achilles.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I would love to hear from you so feel free to leave a comment.